Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dealing with Disappointment, Part I

     Hi, how are you?
I'm bumping this up. I wrote this April 15th, 2011. I'm posting this simply to say hello to those who lost the connection we once had.

     I've moved to a new address.  I hope to see you there. The address is TheAttitudeofGratitude Inn.blogspot.com. It's an easier address than this one to remember.
You can reach the new digs to the inn by clicking here.

 I hope to see you at the new place and I'm wishing you a fantastic Spring, full of gratitudes. To read part two of this series, please click on the link above.

  The Innkeeper

Here's the post:


     I attended a business meeting today that had strong consequences for me.The unsatisfactory outcome didn't surprise me, there's a lot of room for improvement on this employer's part. (I work for several.) I stated what I needed. The powers that be, are responding to my request. One thing I've learned over time is that I need to take responsibility for life's disappointments, even if someone else causes them. Yes, I'm the one responsible for coping with them.
     If I say to a person who upsets me, "until you change from doing x,y and z, I'll be angry, unhappy, (put in your anticipated negative response)_," I'm surrendering my happiness and serenity over to that individual. I've just stated that my joy is based upon their reaction. Not a good deal.  This person may not have the ability, or consciousness to meet my needs. In today's meeting, I was assured that I'll get an answer to my request within a few days. Good, I like that response.
      When facing unsatisfactory circumstances, I consider my options. Applying positive alternatives is crucial for my mental health. If I'm discouraged, I can spend time with good friends. Exercising provides an additional outlet for stress. I can listen to music I love or call a Balcony Person for a supportive ear. Praying, journaling or walking in the countryside are other ways of nurturing myself when frustrated or my nerves are frayed.
      There are many things I can do to have the serenity needed, in order to personally thrive. I'm less exasperated when I'm aware that happiness is a choice; it's not based upon what other people say or do. Focusing on troubles and disappointments only makes them loom larger and more disturbing.  
     Staying in the solution allows me to have an Attitude of Gratitude. Taking constructive action towards overcoming a disappointment allows me to create a better today.
"Acting like a victim is a choice, not a destiny."
  Here's to making healthy choices,

No comments:

Post a Comment